Monday, February 4, 2008

Loving Brecken

When I took down the border in my room, I also rearranged the furniture and replaced blinds with curtains. It was truly a momentous day…

Other than struggling to find the bed after getting up at night, I like the new arrangement. My husband loves it--I didn't know he hated the last arrangement. However, last night I discovered a flaw in my creativity. Brecken and Sedona now sleep in a new part of the room, and Brecken’s bed lies across a loose floor board.

I don’t know if the board was already loose, or if Brecken’s habit of turning circles all night long, combined with her impressive weight, did the damage. My daughter is concerned you’ll think Brecken is fat—she’s a mastiff, big is what she does (the dog, not my daughter).

Last night, every time Brecken turned a circle, the board popped. Every time she flopped down, the board popped. Every time she moved at all, the board popped. Her bed will be in a new spot tonight…possibly someone else’s room…

I just made a trip to the kitchen and discovered that I can drink coffee directly as it brews. Kidding, but it did cross my mind. As I poured a cup of much-needed caffeine, I heard my oldest son ask Brecken what was in her mouth.

I may have actually groaned, but possibly just stepped on another loose floor board. I walked into the hall to discover Brecken coming down the stairs, a muffin wrapper and piece of tissue stuck in her lips. Mastiffs have very large, drooping lips, sometimes things are lost in them for days…like rocks, bark, tree branches.

Brecken happily wagged her tail, unaware of the incriminating evidence stuck comically in her lips. She’d been in the Aerie—my sacred space. I’m sure the entire trash can is spread across the room, there may even be important things chewed up. I don’t want to look yet…

I’m going back into the kitchen to finish my coffee, then I think I’ll move Brecken’s bed…to the garage.

1 comment:

One-time runner said...

They sell a kit at some hardware stores called "squeaks no more" or something like that. We used it two houses ago and cured all the floor noises. give brecken a hug.