Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Frame of Reference

My son and his friend were discussing the war in Iraq the other day. He talked to me that eve. and said, "Mom, there is no such thing as good guys and bad guys." I didn't understand at first, but when he explained his thoughts about the war, I was stunned. He said, "We think they're the bad guys, and they think we're the bad guys."

Frame of reference truly is everything regarding one's beliefs... I told him I agreed with him, but that some people in wars do truly horrible things to other people. His answer..."Yeah, but that's the difference between good and evil."

My other son recently asked me if war wouldn't exist if religion didn't exist. Not every battle is fought in the name of religion, but many of them have been throughout history. There is no simple answer to his question--human nature often dictates conflict--but I wonder why something that should bring peace, solace and hope often brings pain and suffering...

No comments: